Monday, September 25, 2006

My changing world…




Yet another great entry on Headphonaught’s blog has set me thinking. They usually do:

‘Naught happened to mention that he “Had a picnic on the front... porkpies... rolls... houmous... prawns... cheese... you know what I mean... the kind of food your folks would pull together for picnics... except maybe the houmous... unless your folks were really cool! Had a picnic on the front... porkpies... rolls... houmous... prawns... cheese... you know what I mean... the kind of food your folks would pull together for picnics... except maybe the houmous... unless your folks were really cool!”

Food seems completely different now to the kinda stuff I ate when I was a kid. It used to be a sort a fatty wasteland mostly composed of various combinations of pies, chips & bread. I can vaguely remember pizza coming on the scene in our house, but it would barely be recognized as pizza today.

Things like houmous, chorizo, bagels, sushi, olives, the myriad of pasta & coffee variants and any number of other of today’s run of the mill stuff weren’t even on the radar.

So, if the food’s changed, how much more so the world.

I was chatting with someone a good deal older than me a few weeks back, and we got into talking about “Al-Qaeda”, who they confused with “Aljazeera”. When I explained that Aljazeera was a kind of Arabic CNN I stopped short. “ “You know what CNN is, don’t you.?” “Err…..no” came the reply.

Sometimes the pace of change is so rapid, those of us who kinda keep up – or at least try our best to - should remember that there are many who just get lost in the wake of change.

Thanks, ‘Naught once again for making me think.

No comments: