Monday, April 06, 2009

Do we need a WIRED UK?

If you know me well at all, you will know that I’m a bit a magazine head.

It seems to me that I’ve been interested in mags, and have poured over their content week in week out for most of my life.

I was even prompted at one point to title a blogpost “My life through magazines”.

Having said that – and this is hugely out of character; I’m not a natural cynic – I’m finding it really hard to drum up any enthusiasm for the new UK version of WIRED, which hit the streets earlier in the month.

Despite having read the original US version of WIRED for years, the positive endorsements of some of my trusted Twitter buddies and even a tiny piece of direct Twitter dialog from UK Deputy Editor @BenHammersley I still haven’t shelved out and bought a copy.

It may be that I’ve become increasingly drawn to online mags like Worldchanging and Inhabitat or that my world feels increasingly borderless and connected. Geography, identity and time zone feel less fixed and fuzzier now that the internet is not simply an add-on or a tool but something that is woven deep into the minutiae of daily life.

The natural extension of this for me is this: does a mag that purports to look to the future really need some kind of localized version? I’m not sure it does

Is there something in all of this, or am I just turning into an awkward little beggar?

Don’t take my word for it, though. Check out WIRED UK for yourself. It will fly or die regardless of what I think.

If I buy a copy, I might have to eat my words

4 comments:

RichardB said...

You've surely got to at least have a look dontcha think?
Not all issues in the US are of interest to us and vice versa. Go on, you know you want to!

Johnny said...

I think I'll snaffle a look at Smiths before I actually buy one! :-))

Judith said...

I've not seen a copy yet so can't comment but will endeavour to buy one at least and browse through it. take care, Judith

Johnny said...

Thanks for passing by and leaving a comment, Judy.

J