Monday, April 14, 2008

Sally Army Flash Mob

I stumbled across this blog post at A Minor Technicality, which piqued my interest:

Check the vid out…



…and the accompanying comment…

I have no idea why, but the Salvation Army brass band turned up, played a few tunes on the green (positioning themselves quite symmetrically, I must point out), then vanished. It was close to a military exercise in guerilla band playing.


I couldn’t resist offering my own comment to add to the dialog:

"On one level this is hilarious. Your bemused comment shows that the Sally’s attempt to communicate with the people who live in their community through music has spectacularly failed to hit the spot!

On the other hand, there’s a sadness about the fact that their sincere efforts are so culturally at odds with regular people’s lives that they soldier on (excuse the pun) regardless of how big the disconnect is…”


Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Jonathan Blundell said...

I wonder what the response would have been if a church rock band or rap group just suddenly appeared in a park like this.
Would the style of music make any difference or would people still just glance and walk by?

darrin said...

if they have the guts to do this maybe they are the group you are looking for who have the guts for exilio

Johnny said...

JB: Not sure. Possibly in the UK, there's a level of familiarity with Salvation Army Bands in the open air - often not enough to raise a massive amount of interest, but just enough for it not to appear too weird.

Darrin - Ya cheeky monkey!! :-)))

Anonymous said...

I think you know what I think :)

Johnny said...

I think I do, Pernellton! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think bands should get out more and do this kind of stuff. go for the bemused angle. People might turn up just to find out why!