Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Forgotten Ways



Those lovely folks at Amazon were kind enough to send me a copy of Alan Hirsch’s The Forgotten Ways + reactivating the missional church, so I’m looking forward to getting on and reading it. Alan’s buddy and writing partner Michael Frost’s work has featured heavily on johnnylaird lately, as Michael’s book EXILES has had a profound – and even unsettling - effect on the way I look at being/doing Church. It’s always a good sign when a book is so good you want to share it with someone else, so I’ve passed my copy of EXILES over to my buddy in Sheffield.

If The Forgotten Ways hits the spot like EXILES, it will be a good read.

I’d also ordered Alan & Michael’s collaborative effort - The Shaping of Things to Come - at the same time as The Forgotten Ways, so that should be pitching up shortly.

For more on Alan Hirch and The Forgotten Ways check out the new(ish) blog

2 comments:

Jason Reid said...

I thought the Forgotten Ways was better than Exiles. I always feel that the Salvationists have a stronger missional heritage than most of us.

Enjoy Grace

Jason

Johnny said...

Thanks for passing by, Jason.

I'd agree that our SA heritage is strong, and I'm glad that we seem to be re-exploring that again these days. Perhaps we took our eyes of the ball in that area.

J